Thursday, September 28, 2006

Procrastination


From m-w.com:
procrastinate

Main Entry: pro·cras·ti·nate
Pronunciation: pr&-'kras-t&-"nAt, prO-
Function: verb
Inflected Form(s): -nat·ed; -nat·ing
Etymology: Latin procrastinatus, past participle of procrastinare, from pro- forward + crastinus of tomorrow, from cras tomorrowtransitive verb : to put off intentionally and habitually
intransitive verb : to put off intentionally the doing of something that should be done
synonym see DELAY - pro·cras·ti·na·tion /-"kras-t&-'nA-sh&n/ noun - pro·cras·ti·na·tor /-'kras-t&-"nA-t&r/ noun
-------------------------------------------------------------
It's Thursday afternoon, the sun is shining and it's still 21 degrees even though it's late September. My chicken still lays an egg a day and the scabs on my elbow and knee are much better than they were. My whole shin is bruised still, but that'll be over soon enough.
Obviously, I have no classes now so this would be a good time to be working on my cultural history project. Or to be washing the windows (can't remember when the last time was I did that). Or to do various other household chores, like iron or pick up messes. But I don't feel like doing any of that!

Last school year I was so much more structured than I am now, but that was because I had to be. I was so busy that if I didn't plan everything, I was afraid it would all turn out to be a big mess. Of course it didn't. It did make me feel guilty every time I missed part of my plans, for whatever reason.

This year I have lots more time off (I work less and I have less classes to take), but I haven't used it very productively yet. I haven't even started to work on my thesis yet (but I do still have plenty of time) and that one project from last year that I haven't turned in yet is also still a work in progress.

What do I do? I read a lot more, which will eventually turn out to be handy for both my thesis and my cultural history project. I cook more elaborately (very good for my health and my relationship) and I go outside a lot more (again, health!). So it doesn't matter that I'm not working every minute of every day. I do what I have to do and if I don't feel like doing it that instant, I put it off for an hour, or a day. What matters is that it gets done and that I don't feel guilty. And I'm so much more relaxed than I was a few months ago!

8 comments:

CHIC-HANDSOME said...

life just a good

Anonymous said...

Goodmeurning!!

Live is to great to waste!!!
en euhhh veel werken is ook niet goed voor een mens misschien is het net als bij kleine kinderen de drie r en zijn belangerijk!!
Rust Reinheid en Regelmaat!!

fijne dag!

Anonymous said...

Ik merk aan mezelf dat ik toch wel veel werk. Ik had liever wat minder gewerkt en wat meer voor mezelf. Nou ja, misschien later nog eens. Voor nu heb ik het geld nodig. Geniet van alles, het leven is te mooi! (maar daar was je al mee bezig)

Anonymous said...

Heerlijk dat je nu meer kan genieten!!
Fred heeft van de week de ramen gewassen....weet ik ook niet meer wat de laatste keer was maar ze waren aardig zwart hihihi

Anonymous said...

Erg belangrijk hoor, dat je lekker relaxed bent! Na een weekje vakantie moet ik zeggen dat ik ook aardig fris en relaxed ben. Niet dat ik nu héél erg gestresst was voordien, maar het waren wel drukke weken, zeker ook door vakanties van anderen en ziektegevallen. Nu kan ik er maandag weer flink tegenaan!

Anonymous said...

Je rust pakken is zeker niet onbelangrijk.

Ik hoop over een maand van 40 naar 36 uur te gaan zodat ik eens in de 2 weken een dag vrij heb.

Geniet ervan!

Anonymous said...

Heerlijk, relaxen!

Anonymous said...

Very good. That's the spirit... Just take your time, cause always working and doing chores is no fun. And you need fun in live...