Thursday, October 12, 2006

Happy harvest

We've been so lucky with the weather the past few weeks! A few rain showers aside, the weather has been really nice. It's still 20 degrees and sunny. And not only do I like that, the plants in my garden do as well. The tomato plants still give tomatoes, although I do pick them when they're not ripe and let them ripen on my kitchen table, because they'll rot if I don't. I also still have 2 or 3 zucchinis a week. And the bell pepper plant seems to have only just gotten started! The peppers don't get very big but there are a lot, so that's still pretty good. I hadn't even expected bell peppers to work out in this climate so I was suprised when I planted them for the first time last year. This year I have 4 plants instead of 2 and I'm even more surprised. They pollinate better so there's a lot more fruit per plant now. I guess next year I'll go for 6 plants... there's plenty of room anyway. And if I get too many peppers I can always give them away, freeze them or give them to the chickens.

I already wrote an entry about my dahlias. They are still beautifully in bloom. Last time I showed you pictures from Google, so today I thought it was time for some pictures made by myself.

And amazingly, my chicken still gives me an egg almost every day. One of the teachers at my school (he used to teach care of farm animals) told me chickens need 14 hours of daylight to lay eggs. And we now only have a little over 11 hours of daylight per day, so I expect her to start her winter stop soon.

Summarizing today's harvest: 2 vases of dahlias, 10 yellow and red tomatoes, 1 zucchini and an egg!

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

damn woman jij hebt een goeiie tuin alles vers van de pers!

fijne avond nog!!

Anonymous said...

Wauw, wat een goede oogst!!
Volgens mij heb jij een hele mooie tuin en nog groene vingers op de koop toe!
Hette

Anonymous said...

Coolaboola.... Wow you lucky woman with your garden... Me is jealous... ;) Enjoy the peppers and the tomato's

Anonymous said...

Wauw,wat een genot!!
Enjoy your weekend;-)

Anonymous said...

Lekker, groene en bloemen uit eigen tuin. Inderdaad, als je teveel van het een of ander hebt, kun je het nog altijd invriezen.
Fijn weekend, Femke

Anonymous said...

Dat ziet er goed uit. Zijn de vruchten op de foto ook echt wat je zelf gegroid hebt, of is het alleen een plaatje ter illustratie :-)

Anonymous said...

Ik ben altijd zo jaloers als ik zie hoe goed mensen hun tuintjes hebben en dat ze dan ook nog hun eigen groenten kunnen verbouwen is helemaal top. Pffff... zal ik het ooit nog eens leren?

Anonymous said...

Tnx voor de geweldige bloemetjes! En leuk dat jullie er weer waren. Schrijf maar op in je agenda: Spellenspektakel van 27 t/m 29 oktober. Zullen we de zondag gaan? Is de enige dag dat ik kan, overigens. Let me know!

Anonymous said...

Nog even.. mijn stomme Lotus vreet jouw bloemen en gaat vervolgens overgeven op mijn schapenkleed!